A story almost a century long.
In 1917, at the height of the First World War, the Casinó Municipale di Campione d’Italia was opened to conceal espionage activities. Its extraterritorial position and relaxed atmosphere attracted top civil service figures willing to trade secret documents and information. The original building was designed by the architect Amerigo Marazzi and the interiors by the painter Girolamo Romeo.
Period photographs of the casino’s gaming salons and restaurant depict an elegant "Belle Epoque" mood. But sadly, on July 19th 1919, just two years after its opening, the Casino was closed but then opened again on March 2nd 1933.
Since then the Casino has become a major economic machine, thanks also to its capacity to stage both cultural (like the Maschera d’Argento journalism awards) and show business events.
Year after year, the Casinó Campione d’Italia has confirmed its role as a favourite location for celebrities, intellectuals and international stars, fashion shows and pop, jazz and rock concerts.